The use of turmeric is not new at all. It has been used for centuries in India as an effective anti-inflammatory and it is only in the last 7 to 8 years that it has gained an almost cult-like following world wide. We already had it in some of our formulations 18 years ago. Ideally good quality tumeric powder from reputable sources only, should be used.
Be aware that a range of conditions do require dietary modifications and /or additional therapeutic measures ie: additional omega oils, vitamin C, herbs that address nervousness (this leads to systemic inflammation due to an excess of cortisol)
The recipe below has been used for a number of pet health conditions. There is plenty of information in the Internet so we will keep this brief
Golden Paste Recipe:
- Add 1/2 cup ground Tumeric and 1 cup of water in a pot.
- Simmer on low stirring constantly until it starts to thicken, about 7-10 min. Sometimes turmeric starts to thicken early, in which case add another 1/2 cup of water and continue cooking)
- Take off heat and stir in 1/3 cup of coconut oil and 1 1/2 teas freshly ground black pepper. ( pepper enhances the uptake of the active ingredients in the turmeric.)
- As the mixture cools whisk the ingredients pour into a glass canning jar and refrigerate.
- We find pouring the mixture into little silicon moulds ideal for having separate ‘capsules’ that a dog will happily eat as a treat.